The Abbot’s Palace in Oliwa is a Rococo Palace, located in the Polish city of Gdansk. The oldest part of the building, the so-called “Old Palace” was built in the 15th century in the Gothic style, as evidenced by surviving brick and Gothic vault. After 1577, the building was expanded to its current size, so-called “New Palace”, the building served as the residence for the Cistercian Abbot Jan Grabinski. The final arrangement of the Abbey were made in 1754-1756 years, was financed by the rector Jacek Rybinsk.
After the partition of Poland in 1831, the area where the Palace is located, became part of Prussia, the Palace came into the possession of the family of Hohenzollern. From 1796 until 1836 lived here: the Bishop Amland, Karl von Hohenzollern, and Josef von Hohenzollern. From 1836 to 1869, the year the Palace remained empty, as there is no settled niece of Jose Maria Anna von Hohenzollern. After her death in 1888, the ownership of the Palace was seized by local authorities Olive.
On the initiative of the authorities of the free city of Danzig, the anniversary of the Olive 18 March 1926 in the Palace Museum was opened. The first Director was Erich Keyser.
In 1945, the building was completely destroyed during the retreat of the Germans. The Palace was rebuilt in 1965 to accommodate the Ethnographic Department of the Pomor Museum. In 1972, the Museum acquired the status of national.
Since 1988, the Palace was occupied by the Department of modern and contemporary art Department of the National Museum in gdańsk. The permanent exhibition includes works by Polish artists of the 19th and 20th centuries (paintings, sculpture, ceramics). Often organizes contemporary art exhibitions, conferences and meetings with artists.